Knowingly leaving scene of motor vehicle accident resulting in death is a serious charge. Recently, a Baltimore man pled guilty to this charge stemming from a hit & run that resulted in a death of a pedestrian. This past summer, a woman was walking on Paterson Plank Road in Secaucus when she was struck by the defendant. The defendant thereafter fled from the scene. Later that day the woman was pronounced dead at the hospital. The defendant turned himself in approximately one week later. In addition to being charged with knowingly leaving scene of motor vehicle accident resulting in death, he was also issued reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, and a couple other tickets.
Hackensack knowingly leaving scene of motor vehicle accident resulting in death lawyers
A knowingly leaving the scene of motor vehicle accident resulting in death, codified under NJ law as 2C: 11-5.1, is a serious charge. This is a second degree crime. That means that a defendant that pleads guilty or is found guilty of this charge can face up to ten (10) years in a New Jersey state prison. It also carries a potential fine of up to $150,000.00. Since this charge is a second degree indictable, it carries a presumption of incarceration. You might be wondering, ‘what is a presumption of incarceration?’. A presumption of incarceration means that at sentencing, it is presumed the judge will sentence the defendant to prison/jail time.
Fort Lee Criminal Lawyers
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our team of Bergen County Criminal Defense Lawyers can help you or your loved one with the charge above. Our law firm has:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of eleven (11) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has eight (8) former prosecutors
- Four (4) of our attorneys were former assistant county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, Juvenile Division
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former municipal prosecutors in over twenty-five (25) towns
- Two (2) of our lawyers were recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that selects only 2.5% of the attorneys in New Jersey to this list
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State
- Selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40
This charge is a serious charge, and you or your loved one need serious attorneys to handle these allegations. We have three (3) offices located throughout Bergen County. We have offices in Paramus, Hackensack, as well as Fort Lee. Call one of our offices for a free consultation at 201-429-9783, we’re available 24/7.