Bergen County Reckless Driving Lawyers
Reckless Driving (N.J.S.A. 39:4-96) is a serious traffic offense in New Jersey that can impact your license and subject you to fines. The consequence of being convicted of for Reckless Driving in New Jersey is serious, which is why at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall we will fight for you or your loved one who’s been issued a Reckless Driving ticket. Our firm consists of:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A dedicated and committed team of ten (10) criminal defense attorneys
- More than half of our attorneys were former prosecutors
- Three (3) of our attorneys were also former Municipal Prosecutors in over twenty-five (25) towns.
- Selected by Super Lawyers to their 2020 New Jersey Rising Stars list. This is an exclusive list, recognizing no more than 2.5% of attorneys in New Jersey.
- Our attorneys have been selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 as well as the Top 40 Under 40.
Please feel free to contact our Bergen County office at 530 Main Street, Suite 205, Fort Lee, NJ for a free initial consultation 201-429-9783.
Reckless Driving: N.J.S.A. 39:4-96
A person violates N.J.S.A. 39:4-96 when he/she “drives a vehicle heedlessly, in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property”. The most common types of reckless driving include, but are not limited to, going well over the speed limit (usually by more than 25MPH), weaving in and out of lanes at an excessive rate of speed, and/or driving under the influence.
Penalties if convicted of Reckless Driving in New Jersey
If you or a loved one is convicted or pleads guilty to Reckless Driving, the penalties can be harsh. Below is a list of what you or your loved one could expect if convicted:
- A first time offender, if convicted, will be fined not less than $50 but no more than $200, and can be sentenced by the Court to a term of imprisonment in the Bergen County Jail for up to sixty (60) days.
- Repeat offenders will face a fine up to $500 and the court can sentence the defendant up to ninety (90) days in the Bergen County Jail.
- Lastly, if convicted, you’ll be subjected to five (5) motor vehicle points.
- Please keep in mind that if you or your loved one accumulates twelve (12) or more points in a year, then a license suspension will be issued by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.
Fort Lee Municipal Court
Have you or a loved one been issued a Reckless Driving (N.J.S.A. 39:4-96) ticket in Fort Lee, NJ? If so, your case will most likely be heard at the Fort Lee Municipal Court. The Fort Lee Municipal Court is located at 309 Main Street, Fort Lee, NJ. The Municipal Prosecutor for Fort Lee when it comes to traffic tickets is Raffi Khorozian, and the traffic Judge for Fort Lee is the Honorable Matthew Fierro.
Experienced Bergen County Traffic Attorneys
The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall has been representing individuals charged with Reckless Driving (N.J.S.A. 39:4-96) throughout New Jersey for the past fifteen (15) years. These municipalities include but are not limited to; Paramus, Hackensack, Mahwah, Ramsey, Lodi, River Vale, Palisades Interstate Park and Garfield. If your or someone you know has been charged with reckless driving in New Jersey it is imperative that you speak to a qualified traffic attorney about your options. If you have any further questions with regards to this offense or any other offense for that matter, please contact any one of our Bergen County Offices for a free initial consultation about your pending charges at 201-429-9783.