A couple months ago a popular rapper was charged with having unlawful handgun. Allegedly multiple handguns were found inside the home. The police had a search warrant for the house. The arrests stem from a shooting outside a Teaneck nightclub. The police during their search allegedly recovered four handguns. Specifically a Ruger, a Glock, a H&K 9mm, and a Smith and Wesson. Supposedly inside the house there were hollow point bullets, high capacity magazines, and marijuana. The rapper faces two charges, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon, and Less than 50 Grams of Marijuana.
Hackensack Unlawful Handgun Lawyer
The defendant above faces a very serious charge. This charge is codified under New Jersey law as NJSA 2C:39-5B(1). He is charged with a first (1st) degree felony (indictable). Typically, having an unlawful handgun is a second degree crime. However, if there are multiple illegal handguns that the owner does not have permits for, then it can arise to a first degree crime. With a first degree, if convicted, the defendant can face up to a maximum of twenty years in a New Jersey bar. In addition to this, he/she will also be facing the Graves Act. This law requires a defendant to serve a big portion of their sentence before they can be eligible for parole. The defendant can also face a fine of up to $200,000.00. Lastly, the defendant, if convicted of this charge, is presumed to be sentenced by a Bergen County Judge to state prison due to it being a first degree crime.
Fort Lee Illegal Handgun Attorney
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our team of Bergen County Criminal Defense Lawyers can help you or your loved one with the charge above. Our law firm has:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of eleven (11) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has eight (8) former prosecutors
- Four (4) of our attorneys were former assistant county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, Juvenile Division
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former municipal prosecutors in over twenty-five (25) towns
- Two (2) of our lawyers were recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that selects only 2.5% of the attorneys in New Jersey to this list
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State
- Selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40
This charge is a serious charge, and you or your loved one need serious attorneys to handle these allegations. We have three (3) offices located throughout Bergen County. We have offices in Paramus, Hackensack, as well as Fort Lee. Call one of our offices for a free consultation at 201-429-9783, we’re available 24/7.