Fort Lee NJ Marijuana Possession Lawyers
Possession of Marijuana is one of the most common drug related charges issued by police officers in Bergen County. As you will see below, the applicable penalties for anyone convicted of possession of marijuana will depend on the actual quantity of marijuana possessed and your proximity to certain areas. A conviction for even a small amount of marijuana can have devastating consequences on you or your loved one’s future. The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall has been representing individuals charged with possession of marijuana, possession of cocaine, possession of heroin and possession of prescription drugs in towns throughout Bergen County, including but not limited to Fort Lee, Hackensack, Paramus, Fair Lawn, Saddle Brook, Ridgefield Park, Englewood, Elmwood Park, Rochelle Park, East Rutherford and Central Bergen Municipal for over fifteen (15) years. Our firm will defend you or your loved one’s marijuana charges since we have:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of ten (10) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has seven (7) former prosecutors
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, Juvenile Division
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former municipal prosecutor in over twenty-five (25) towns
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State
- One (1) of our lawyers was recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2020 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that only 2.5% of the attorneys in this New Jersey are selected to this list
- Selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40
- Selected to the 10 Best Law Firms in New Jersey for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
If you or someone you know has been charged with unlawful possession of marijuana in Bergen County, please contact any one of our three (3) Bergen County offices in Hackensack, Paramus, and Fort Lee immediately for a free initial consultation about you or your loved one’s pending charge(s) at 201-429-9783.
Marijuana Charges in NJ:
- Simple Possession: Under 50 grams of Marijuana
- Possession of Marijuana over 50 grams
- Possession with Intent to Distribute Marijuana
- Possession with Intent within 500 ft of a Park / Public Housing
- Possession with Intent within 1000 ft of a School zone
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance in Motor Vehicle
As you can see, there is a wide range of potential charges related to possession of marijuana. What you are charged with will typically depend on the amount of marijuana possessed, your proximity to a school, public park or housing project and whether or not you were arrested with some form of drug paraphernalia which suggests that you possessed the said drugs with intent to distribute. In addition, with the sudden rise in synthetic marijuana, the legislatures have drastically increased the penalties for anyone convicted of either possessing synthetic marijuana or possessing synthetic marijuana with the intent to distribute.
Paramus NJ Marijuana Possession Attorneys
Elements of the Offense: Possession of Marijuana: N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10A(4)
The criminal charge for possession of marijuana in New Jersey is set forth in N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10, which provides in pertinent part that:
It is unlawful for any person, knowingly or purposely, to obtain, or to possess, actually or constructively, a controlled dangerous substance or controlled substance analog, unless the substance was obtained directly, or pursuant to a valid prescription or order form from a practitioner, while acting in the course of his professional practice, or except as otherwise authorized. Any person who violates this section with respect to: Possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana, including any adulterants or dilutants, or five grams or less of hashish will be charged with a disorderly person offense.
Grading of the Offense & Applicable Penalties:
- Possession of marijuana less than 50 grams is a disorderly person offense and if convicted the defendant can face up to six months in jail, a $1000.00 fine and a potential two year loss of license.
- Possession of marijuana more than 50 grams but less than one ounce is a crime of a crime of the fourth degree (felony) and if convicted the defendant can face up to eighteen months in jail and a potential two year loss of license.
- Possession of marijuana more than one ounce or more but less than five pounds is a crime of the third degree (felony) and if convicted a defendant can face up to five years in state prison, a fine up to $25,000.00 and a potential two year loss of license.
- Possession of marijuana more than five pounds but less than 25 pounds or more than 10 but fewer than 50 marijuana plants, regardless of weight, is a crime of the second degree (felony) and if convicted the defendant can face up to ten years in a state prison and a potential two year loss of license.
- Possession of marijuana more than 25 pounds or more than 50 marijuana plants is a crime of the first degree (felony) and if convicted the defendant can face up to twenty years in a state prison, a fine up to $300,000.00 and a potential two year loss of license.
Marijuana Possession Lawyer in Hackensack NJ
As you can tell the applicable penalties for anyone convicted of possession of marijuana can range drastically depending on the circumstances surrounding the charges. The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall is available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your pending charges. Please feel free to contact any one of our Bergen County offices for a consultation at 201-429-9783.