Vehicular Homicide & DWI charges were levied against a former bare-knuckle boxing champion from Hackensack surrendered himself to New Jersey State Police last year. Allegedly, he was driving northbound in Salem County Upper Pitts grove and slammed into a Hyundai head-on. The two victims were pronounced dead at the scene. It is alleged that the former champion was sunder the influence when he hit the other vehicle.
Hackensack Vehicular Homicide & DWI Lawyer
Vehicular homicide is a serious charge here in New Jersey. Someone operating a vehicle under the influence is a strict liability crime. It is a crime of the third degree. This means that if a defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty after trial, they will face up to five (5) years in a New Jersey state prison. Strict liability means that there is essentially no defense for the crime if the defendant was under the influence at the time, and killed another driver. Moreover, there is no non-presumption of incarceration. Typically with a third degree it is presumed at sentencing that the defendant will not be sentenced to prison time if convicted. With this type of charge under New Jersey law it does not apply.
Fort Lee Criminal Defense Attorney
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our team of Bergen County Criminal Defense Lawyers can help you or your loved one with the charge above. Our law firm has:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of eleven (11) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has eight (8) former prosecutors
- Four (4) of our attorneys were former assistant county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, Juvenile Division
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former municipal prosecutors in over twenty-five (25) towns
- Two (2) of our lawyers were recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that selects only 2.5% of the attorneys in New Jersey to this list
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State
- Selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40
This charge is a serious charge, and you or your loved one need serious attorneys to handle these allegations. We have three (3) offices located throughout Bergen County. We have offices in Paramus, Hackensack, as well as Fort Lee. Call one of our offices for a free consultation at 201-429-9783, we’re available 24/7.