An Oakland man was arrested last month on allegations of sexually assaulting a child. The Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office announced that Gary Sarno was arrested after an investigation revealed that he allegedly “engaged in sexual conduct with a child under the age of eighteen”. This investigation has been ongoing since October of 2019. Sarno volunteered his time as a cub scout leader. He was an assistant den leader with the cub scouts since 2017. In addition to this, he also coached youth sports wherein he was an assistant coach for youth soccer and baseball. It appears that his position as a cub scout leader is not related to the current case.
The charges that Sarno faces at the Bergen County Superior Court are second (2nd) degree sexual assault, second (2nd) degree endangering the welfare of a child, and fourth (4th degree) criminal sexual contact.
Sexual Assault Law & Penalties
Are you or a loved one being charged with sexual assault? If so, then please know that sexual assault is a serious charge. A sexual assault charge is an indictable (felony). A second (2nd) degree sexual assault carries up to ten years in New Jersey state prison. Moreover, a conviction of a second degree crime also carries with it a potential fine of up to $150,000.
The statute is N.J.S.A. 2C:14-2(b) or (c). The defendant in this case is likely going to be charged with one of the following:
- A defendant is guilty of sexual assault if
- He/she commits an act of sexual contact with a victim who is less than 13 years old and the actor is at least four years older than the victim or
- If he/she commits an act of sexual penetration with another person when
- The victim is at least 16 but less than 18 years old or
- the victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years old and the actor is at least four years older than the victim
As stated above, criminal sexual contact is a crime of the fourth (4th) degree. If convicted, a defendant faces up to eighteen (18) years in New Jersey state prison. Moreover, a fine of up to $10,000 can be levied against the defendant as well. The statute for criminal sexual contact is N.J.S.A. 2C:14-3.
Oakland Sexual Assault Attorneys
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, we have ten (10) criminal defense attorneys, and our credentials include the following:
- Seven (7) were former prosecutors
- Three (3) of which were former assistant county prosecutors
- One was the head of the Major Crimes Division,
- Another was the head of the Trial Team, and
- The last one was the director of the Gun, Gang and Drug Task Force
- Three (3) were former municipal court prosecutors
- One Certified Criminal Trial Attorney
- Certification comes from the Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Less than 1 percent of attorneys in this state hold that distinction
- Selected to the National Trial Attorneys Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorney and Top 40 Under 40
- Multiple attorneys with superb Avvo ratings
- Selected to Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers Rising Stars list here in New Jersey for this year
- Only 2.5 percent of attorneys in this state are selected to this list