Bergen County Careless Driving Lawyers
Careless Driving (N.J.S.A. 39:4-97) is probably one of the most common traffic offense in New Jersey. Have you or a loved one been issued a Careless Driving (N.J.S.A. 39:4-97) ticket? Our firm has the experience and knowledge to help you or your loved one if they’ve been issued a Careless Driving ticket in Fort Lee, or anywhere in Bergen County since we have:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of ten (10) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has seven (7) former prosecutors
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former municipal prosecutor in over twenty-five (25) towns
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State
- One (1) of our lawyers was recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2020 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that only 2.5% of the attorneys in this New Jersey are selected to this list
- Selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40
- Selected to the 10 Best Law Firms in New Jersey for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall has been representing individuals charged with Careless Driving (N.J.S.A. 39:4-97) throughout Bergen County for the past fifteen (15) years. These municipalities include but are not limited to; Paramus, Fort Lee, Hackensack, Mahwah, Ramsey, Lodi, River Vale, Palisades Interstate Park and Garfield. If your or someone you know has been charged with careless driving in New Jersey it is imperative that you speak to a qualified traffic attorney about your options 201-429-9783. Listed below is some of the pertinent information with regards to a violation of N.J.S.A. 39:4-97.
What is Careless Driving: N.J.S.A. 39:4-97?
A person violates N.J.S.A. 39:4-97, Careless Driving, when he or she “drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property”. The most common types of careless driving include, but are not limited to, going over the speed limit, car accident/fender bender, weaving in and out of lanes, and/or driving under the influence.
What are the fines and penalties for a Careless Driving Ticket?
If convicted in Fort Lee Municipal Court, or anywhere in Bergen County or New Jersey, you’ll be subjected to 2 motor vehicle points and a fine. The fine can range from $85 but the judge can impose a higher fine (especially if it’s in a safe corridor) as well as court costs. The law also allows the judge to sentence you or your loved one to the Bergen County Jail to a maximum of fifteen (15) days. Keep in mind that if you or your loved one receive twelve (12) or more points on your license in a year, then a license suspension will be issued by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.
Experienced Bergen County Traffic Attorneys
As you can tell the applicable penalties for anyone convicted of Careless Driving can have an impact on your license. The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall is available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your pending charges. Please feel free to contact any one of our Bergen County offices for a consultation at 201-429-9783.