Bergen County NJ Leader of a Narcotic Trafficking Network Attorneys
Whether it be a possession of cocaine, heroin, marijuana or even distributing heroin, cocaine or marijuana, the consequences if convicted are severe, which include up to twenty years in a New Jersey State Prison. With that being said, the applicable penalties for anyone convicted of being the Leader of Narcotic Trafficking Network are much worse. For instance, a defendant convicted of being a leader of a narcotic trafficking network, whether it be for cocaine, crystal meth, heroin, synthetic marijuana or prescription pills, must be sentenced to life in prison, with a mandatory term of parole ineligibility of twenty-five (25) years. The consequences are unimaginable, they are equivalent to a murder offense in New Jersey. The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshallhas over 100 years of experience on staff, including over thirty years of prior prosecuting experience. We have eight criminal defense attorneys on staff which makes us one of the largest criminal defense firms in the state let alone Bergen County. If you have been charged with the leader of a narcotic trafficking network in towns like Hackensack, Fort Lee, Garfield, Teaneck, Elmwood Park or anywhere else for that matter we can help. Here is some important information with regards to the offense, including the necessary elements and mandatory penalties.
Fort Lee NJ Leader of a Narcotic Trafficking Network Attorneys: N.J.S.A. 2C:35-3
- The substance(s) in question are either methamphetamine, lysergic acid diethylamide, phencyclidine gamma hydroxybutyrate, flunitrazepam, or one of the CDS’s classified in Schedule I or II, or any analogs of those drug; &
- The defendant was involved in a scheme or course of conduct to manufacture, distribute, dispense, bring into, or transport the substance into, New Jersey; &
- The scheme was done unlawfully; &
- The scheme was orchestrated for profit; &
- The Defendant acted purposely to promote or facilitate the scheme or course of conduct; &
- There was an agreement between the defendant and at least one other person that they or one of them would commit, attempt, or solicit the commission of, that crime, or it must be proved that the agreement was to aid another person or persons in planning, committing, attempting, or soliciting the crime; &
- Lastly, that the defendant was either an organizer, supervisor, financier, or manager of the said conspiracy.
Applicable Penalties if Convicted:
Leader of a Narcotics Trafficking Ring is a first degree indictable (felony) offense in New Jersey. Typically a first degree offense in New Jersey requires the defendant to be sentenced to anywhere between ten to twenty years in a state prison. However, when a defendant is convicted of being a leader of a drug trafficking network, they must be sentenced to an ordinary term of life in prison and before the defendant may be eligible for parole they must serve at least twenty-five years. In addition, the defendant will be fined up to seven hundred fifty thousand dollars or five times the street value of the controlled dangerous substance or controlled substance analog involved, whichever is greater.
With that being said, the mandatory minimum term is avoidable. If the defendants attorney is able to negotiate a plea agreement or if, after trial, the attorney and the prosecutor enter into a post-conviction agreement that provides for a lesser sentence or period of parole ineligibility the judge has the discretion to follow the recommendations.
Englewood Cliffs NJ Leader of a Narcotics Network Lawyer
The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall is an experienced Bergen County criminal defense firm with the skill set required to successfully defend your liberty. If you or someone you know has been charged with being a leader of a drug trafficking network it is imperative that you seek the advice of knowledgeable criminal trial attorney. If you have any further questions please feel contact any one of our Bergen County offices for a free initial consultation.