A marijuana distribution charge was recently brought in Bergen County. The man was part of a Chinese crime syndicate and allegedly had one-hundred and twenty eight pounds of marijuana on him. It is alleged that the man did not know the marijuana was in the car since he was renting it. The defendant is from San Francisco, California. A Hackensack police officer pulled him over for failing to use a turn signal. Supposedly the defendant could not provide paper work for the van, and after a search the police found cardboard boxes filled with vacuum sealed marijuana. The defendant is currently being held at the Bergen County Jail.
Hackensack Marijuana Distribution Charge Lawyer
The defendant currently faces a first degree distribution of marijuana charge. It is codified under NJ Law as 2C:35-5B(10)(A). A first degree charge is the most serious degree a defendant can face. If convicted, a defendant faces up to twenty (20) years in a New Jersey state prison. Moreover, a defendant can be fined up to $200,000.00. In addition to this, a first degree crime carries a presumption of incarceration. This means if a defendant is convicted of a first degree crime, it is presumed he/she will be sentenced to time in state prison.
Fort Lee Criminal Defense Lawyers
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, we have the following credentials and experience:
- Eleven (11) criminal defense attorneys on staff
- Combined together, over 200 years of experience
- Eight (8) former prosecutors on staff
- Four (4) were former county prosecutors who’ve tried high-profiled murders trials before a jury during their tenure as prosecutors
- Many held directorial positions during their tenures as former assistant county prosecutors
- One (1) was the head of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task force
- One (1) was the head of the Major Crimes Division
- One (1) was the head of the Trial team
- One (1) attorney tried thirty murder cases to verdict, and won every single on of them
- Three (3) former municipal prosecutors
- Multiple attorneys selected to either the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40
- Two (2) attorneys selected to Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for criminal defense
- Only 2.5% of attorneys in New Jersey are selected to said list
- One (1) attorney certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney
- Less than 1% of attorneys hold this distinction in New Jersey
Please give our office a call if you or a loved one has been charged with a crime at 201-201-0086.