A man was charged with homicide for stabbing his wife to death. The man charged with homicide is seventy-three years old and is from Mahwah, New Jersey. The defendant, Dieter Zimmerman, was arrested when police were called to their home and Mahwah police officers found his wife on the bathroom floor. Mahwah police officers also allegedly saw wounds on Zimmerman’s hands that looked like scratches. Zimmerman faces Murder, first degree, Possession of a Weapon for Unlawful Purpose, third degree, and Unlawful Possession of a Weapon.
Hackensack Homicide Lawyers
Homicide, which is codified as N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3A(1), is the most serious charge an individual can face here in New Jersey. It is a first degree crime, and carries a maximum penalty of life behind bars as well as up to a six-figure fine. In addition, if a defendant pleads guilty or is convicted of murder then he/she will face a minimum of thirty years in a New Jersey state prison. There is no parole eligibility, which means that if the defendant is sentenced to the minimum, they will have to serve everyday of that thirty years in prison.
Possession of a weapon for Unlawful Purpose is a third degree crime. This means that if the defendant above pleads guilty to this charge, then he can be sentenced up to five years in a New Jersey state prison, and gen the maximum fine of $15,000. Unlawful Possession of a Weapon is a fourth degree crime, this charge carries a maximum of eighteen months in a New Jersey state prison, and up to a $10,000 fine.
Hackensack Criminal Defense Attorneys
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our office has the following credentials, knowledge, experience, and man-power to help you or your loved one:
- Eleven (11) criminal defense attorneys on staff
- Combined together, over 200 years of experience
- Eight (8) former prosecutors on staff
- Four (4) were former county prosecutors who’ve all tried high-profiled murders before a jury during their tenure as prosecutors
- Multiple attorneys selected to either the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40
- Two (2) attorneys selected to Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for criminal defense
- Only 2.5% of attorneys in New Jersey are selected to said list
- One (1) attorney certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney
- Less than 1% of attorneys hold this distinction in New Jersey
Please give our office a call at 201-201-0086.