A Hackensack man was charged a few weeks ago with aggravated assault out of Newark, New Jersey. The defendant, Roy Wilson, allegedly fired a weapon after having an argument and then fled the scene. Police tried to stop him, first in their vehicles and then on foot. The police did not apprehend Wilson, however.
Aggravated assault is a very serious charge. Depending on the facts of the case it can be charged as a second or third degree felony. If it is charged as a second degree felony, then there is a presumption of incarceration. This means that the defendant, if convicted or pleads guilty to the charge, is presumed to be sent to New Jersey state prison.. Moreover, if the defendant pleads guilty or is convicted after trial of a second degree aggravated assault, a defendant can be sentenced up to ten years in New Jersey state prison. As for a third degree aggravated assault, it is a presumption of non-incineration. However, do not think it is not that serious. A third degree aggravated assaults carries a maximum of five years in New Jersey state prison.
Why retain the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall?
If you or a loved one has been charged with an aggravated assault, then you are going to need a strong team of criminal defense attorneys. Do your research before hiring a criminal defense firm. How many cases such as these have they handled? How many jury trials have they tried? These are all very important questions before hiring a criminal defense attorney in Bergen County. At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, we have the experience, knowledge, credentials and man-power to fight you or a your loved one’s criminal case. Specifically, our criminal defense law firm has:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of ten (10) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has seven (7) former prosecutors
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former assistant county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, and Juvenile Division
- We have multiple attorneys selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40
- Two (2) of our lawyers were recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that selects only 2.5% of the attorneys in New Jersey to this list
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State
Please give our office a call today at 201-201-0086.