A high speed car chase with guns (handguns) took place last month on I-287. The pursuit began in Boonton, and ended in Mahwah. During the pursuit, one of the defendants pointed a gun at a New Jersey State Trooper. The chase started on I-287, then went into Route, and finally Route 202/Ramapo Valley Road. One of the defendants allegedly tossed a 9mm gun after they tried to flee on foot. Altogether three guns were found with ammunition. The guns were found by a Mahwah police officer and the other two were found by New Jersey State Troopers. One of the defendants was charged with a first degree crime for Unlawful Possession of a Weapon due to a Prior Conviction that falls under the No Early Release Act (“NERA”). He was also charged with a second degree crime of Unlawful Possession of a Handgun without a permit, among many other charges.
Hackensack Gun Lawyers
Under N.J.S.A. 2C:39-5J, a Unlawful Possession of a Weapon, with a prior conviction under NERA is a first degree crime. This means that the defendant faces up to a maximum of twenty years in a New Jersey state prison, as well as up to a six figure fine. In addition to this, there is a presumption of incarceration because it is a first degree crime. This means that if the defendant is found guilty after trial, or pleads out to the charge, then at sentencing it is presumed that he will be sentenced to prison. The defendant allegedly has a conviction that falls under NERA. If a defendant pleads to a NERA crime, then he or she will have to serve a prison sentence wherein at least 85% of their sentence must be served before he or she becomes eligible for parole.
Bergen County Gun Attorneys
When you hire a criminal lawyer, please do your research. The charges above are very serious charges. Some firms might not devote their entire practice to criminal law, while others might not have handled a lot of cases that you or your loved one is being charged with. At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, we have eleven (11) criminal defense attorneys, and our credentials include the following:
- Eight (8) were former prosecutors
- Four (4) of which were former assistant county prosecutors
- One was the director of the Gun, Gang and Drug Task Force
- One was the head of the Major Crimes Division,
- Another was the head of the Trial Team, and
- Three (3) were former municipal prosecutors
- Two (2) Selected to Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers Rising Stars list here in New Jersey for this year
- Only 2.5 percent of attorneys in this state are selected to this list
- One (1) Certified Criminal Trial Attorney
- Certification comes from the Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Less than 1 percent of attorneys in this state hold that distinction
- Selected to the National Trial Attorneys Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorney and Top 40 Under 40
- Multiple attorneys with superb Avvo ratings
Please give our office a call 24/7 at 201-201-0086.