A man was charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) for a car crash in North Bergen, NJ back in September. The man is a thirty-one year old that hails from Paterson, New Jersey. His name is Nathaniel Dickerson, and in addition to being charged with a DWI he was also charged with assault by auto. The crash took place in the area of 910 Tonnelle Avenue in North Bergen. Allegedly Dickerson struck a parked 2012 Honda Civic while he was traveling northbound on Tonnelle Avenue. Thereafter, he hit a utility pole.
Moreover, Dickerson had a passenger in his car that was seriously injured. Dickerson’s blood alcohol content according to the New Jersey State Police of Forensic Sciences was a 0.205%, which is almost three times the legal limit.
DWI and Assault by Auto
A DWI and Assault by Auto charges can have life long consequences if you or a loved one is charged. Since the defendant’s blood alcohol content (BAC) was .205%, he’ll be facing (if convicted) a license suspension of up to six months. This is only if it is his first offense. A second offense carries up to two years of a loss of license, and a third offense is up to eight years loss of license. Not to mention, a third offense DWI faces the potential of a mandatory six months in county jail.
Also, an assault by auto, depending on the facts of the case, can be charged as a felony (indictable). If the person is seriously injured, as is alleged in Dickerson’s case, then he will likely be facing a fourth degree felony. If Dickerson pleads guilty or is convicted of assault by auto, he can face up to eighteen months in New Jersey state prison, and a fine of up $10,000. In addition to that, a felony conviction will leave him with a criminal record.
Why Choose Us?
If you or a loved one has been charged with either a DWI or an assault by auto, then it is imperative that a criminal defense attorney is by your side. However, please do your research when choosing a criminal defense attorney. At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, we have the experience, knowledge, credentials and man-power to fight you or a your loved one’s criminal case. Specifically, our criminal defense law firm has:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of ten (10) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has seven (7) former prosecutors
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former assistant county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, Juvenile Division
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former municipal prosecutors in over twenty-five (25) towns
- We have two (2) attorneys who are certified to administer the Alco test Machine and one (1) attorney who is certified instructors of the State Field Sobriety Tests. These are the two key pieces of evidence in which the Municipal Prosecutor needs to analyze and use to convict an individual of Driving While Intoxicated. Listed below is some of the major consequences of being convicted of second offense DWI.
- We have multiple attorneys selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40
- Two (2) of our lawyers were recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that selects only 2.5% of the attorneys in New Jersey to this list
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State