A nineteen year old woman was charged with aggravated manslaughter. The charge was issued back in August of 2020. The woman, Kimberly Aponte, is facing a first degree aggravated manslaughter charge. Allegedly, Aponte gave birth to a baby this past summer. She hid the pregnancy from her family. After giving birth, she wrapped the baby in a towel and hid it in a hamper. When the police responded, they discovered the lifeless child. Aponte is from Hackensack, New Jersey.
Hackensack Aggravated Manslaughter Lawyers
Aponte faces a very serious charge. Aggravated manslaughter, as mentioned above, is a first degree felony (indictable). The applicable statute is N.J.S.A. 2C:11-4(a). That means if Aponte pleads guilty or is convicted after a trial, she will face a minimum of ten (10) years in New Jersey state prison, and a maximum of twenty (20) years in state prison. In addition, this crime is subject to the No Early Release Act (NERA), meaning if Aponte pleads guilty or is convicted after trial then she will have to serve eighty-five (85%) percent of her sentence before she is eligible for parole. Lastly, since this is a first degree crime, there is a presumption of incarceration. That means that if Aponte pleads guilty or is convicted after trial, it is presumed that a Bergen County Superior Court Judge will sentence her to New Jersey state prison.
Why our Criminal Law Firm?
If you or a loved one has been charged with an aggravated manslaughter charge, then you are going to need a tenacious and zealous team of criminal defense attorneys. Please do not just hire any attorney you see or think has the ‘qualifications’ to handle your case. Do your research, ask if they have tried these types of cases. At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, we have the experience, knowledge, credentials and man-power to fight you or a your loved one’s criminal case. Specifically, our criminal defense law firm has:
- Over two-hundred (200) years of combined experience
- A team of ten (10) criminal defense attorneys that devote their entire practice to criminal law
- Our firm has seven (7) former prosecutors
- Three (3) of our attorneys were former assistant county prosecutors and held directorial positions of the Drug, Gang, and Gun Task Force, Major Crimes Division, Trial Division, and Juvenile Division
- We have multiple attorneys selected to the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40
- Two (2) of our lawyers were recently selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 list for New Jersey which is a highly credentialed, peer-influenced, third-party validated, and a patented process that selects only 2.5% of the attorneys in New Jersey to this list
- One (1) of our attorneys is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney, a distinction held by less than 1% of attorneys in this State